Tuesday, August 3, 2010

MAKH DANIELS


I met Makh when I was 15, when my band played for the first time in Redwood City. I'd probably seen him around before, he probably was at some shows that my previous band had played with a group he was friends with, but the first time I was introduced to him was at this show our bands played together. They were called Hands Held The Dead. I remember them playing last in this huge gym at the YWCA, in the near dark. I think alot of kids had left, or maybe not that many had been there to begin with. Either way, when I think of them playing that night I remember how big and empty that room felt. And then I remember how large and brutal they sounded. I remember how I instantly felt connected to Makh after seeing him play. You could literally see the tension leave his body. Total release. I could tell he was on my 'team'. I could tell he used music to work out whatever he needed to work out. His next band was one of my favorite bands, Betray The Species. They had one 20 minute song that they played at like 15 shows and I believe I saw most, if not all of them. It was one epic intense experience seeing them. The second song they wrote came out on a CD called Sleepwalker and contains the lyric "someone somewhere loves me" which always just cuts right to my core, and which is more than true considering the turn out at his funeral this week. Alot of people in a lot of places loves him. He went on to play in a bunch of bands ending with Early Graves. I hadn't seen him in a few years but we were in contact on the internet consistently, which regrettably is much too common these days with old friends, although it's better than nothing I suppose. He was a great dude and an all around inspiration.

I have a few different live recordings of Betray The Species first song, one on VHS that I have to dig up, but until then:

Hands Held The Dead cdr

Betray The Species - Sleepwalker

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jackson,

    Remember me from music camp and shows? Yesterday the strangest thing happened. I randomly had the urge to listen to betray the species, so I found my copy of BTS' "sleepwalker" CD and put it on, realizing that I had never actually listened to it all the way through although I'd seen them live several times. About halfway through the album I googled BTS out of curiosity and that led me to your blog. Reading your entry on Makh is how I learned about the tragic incident in Oregon. I can't fucking believe it. I've known Makh off and on since I was 14 -- we weren't that close, but I'd see him now and then ever since high school. He always had a great sense of humor. I just can't believe that one day he was touring and the next he's . . . dead. It's still not sinking in completely. It's eerie that I wanted to hear his music, which is what helped me find out about his passing. I was literally listening to him screaming while reading the horrible news, which made it even more surreal.

    Anyway, I would certainly appreciate it if you posted the BTS song (audio and/or video) to relive some old memories and pay tribute to makh. I'm disappointed I missed the funeral and the benefit show.

    I know it's been a long time. I'm glad I found out about Makh but I'm also happy to have found your blog -- I wasn't sure what happened to you. It's so easy to lose touch once you stop frequenting the same places, and I'm not that into keeping relationships solely online (sounds like you're not either). Anyway, quest for quintana roo holds a special place in my music collection, and I often get nostalgic for that time in my life when I was going to shows every week and getting inspired by local bands screaming their hearts out to 20-30 kids in some garage or YMCA. I don't really know if the "scene" is the same these days, but it had a big impact on me growing up.

    I digress. If you could let me know if/when you post the first BTS song I'd appreciate it, and I can check the blog again as well.

    I hope you're doing well.

    Thanks,

    Matt Adler
    adlermatthew@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you haven't found it yet, I posted one of our sets at the pound on you tube. The audio-video sync is bad, but at least you can hear and see everything. Thanks for your kind words about Makh. We all love and miss him terribly. Thanks also for the support of both HHTD and BTS. That was Makh, Noah and I's heart and soul. Good to know some people actually cared. I play and sing in a new band THEY ARE ALL DEAD (Makh lyrics from bts). Keep an ear out for us. If either of you folks email me, I might be able to send you some rare bts recordings. Hope all is well. -Ryan Slater ryanrslater@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete